Tuesday, February 12, 2008

a cathedral-like mosque


I've heard it said now by 3 or 4 different people that the battle for the "cathedral-like mosque" (sobornoya mechet') in Simferopol is going to make news. 

Yesterday, I went with three faculty members of the University to deliver money that had been collected to support the men who are taking shifts to keep the protest going around the clock. The conflict, from what I understand, centers on the lethargic pace at which the paperwork to secure the land for the mosque is being processed, and also on the site, which is on the outskirts of the city (the original spot, closer to the center of town, was rejected). The frustration of the community is easiest to understand when you witness how many churches seem to be springing up in every neighborhood in Simferopol, including the center. Right now, there's one official mosque in town. (Though there may be others; this has been contested by some people I've talked to.)
We arrived at lunchtime. The man approaching with the box came to offer my cohort and me each a pyrizhok. We were invited to come inside, and I was greeted warmly - (and publicly, with a word about how my parents instilled in me their Ukrainian culture and language, and they should take this example!) - by the gentleman I met on my first day at the University.

The flags flying outside the tents are the Crimean Tatar flag (with the tarak symbol) and the Ukrainian national flag.
 
We're at -13 degrees Fahrenheit in Simferopol.

1 comment:

rwmurph said...

Dear Marusia,

I want to echo Dick's praise for your blogs from Simferopol. You are so talented in every way and demonstrate sensitivity toward the people living in Crimea. Dick, Julie, and I spent three days in Crimea in 1984, mostly in Yalta. We look forward to future interesting blogs.

Best wishes,
Luda Murphy