Saturday, March 15, 2008

With a Little Help from the Friends of My Friends

I am moving into a cozy - every real estate's favorite euphemism - but centrally-located apartment in Simferopol tomorrow afternoon. Feeling daunted by the Russian-language newspapers advertising apartment rentals, the few phone calls I attempted solo that ended with an abrupt and jarring dial tone after I tried to explain why an unmarried 27-year-old woman needs her own place ("I don't plan on inviting in people off the street, no, not the types that will steal your forks, I promise"), and a frustrating story of an apartment found-and-lost from a friend Peace Corp Volunteer, I activated the chain of friends of friends and - voila! Nabbed the first apartment I saw. It makes up in location and amenities for its size, and it's the right price for the grant money I'm surviving on. Thank god for the friends of your friends' friends.

In other big news, I have been awarded an IREX-IARO to pursue my dissertation research further, so it's looking like I will return to the States for the month of August and then return to Ukraine until - eep - May 2009.

The internet has been down at home which makes this blog unmaintainable. More once I'm relocated and settled in my new pad.

1 comment:

la rose said...

okay, ASM show in august! you wanna round up a bunch of new crimean tatar music for us to perform? we can do it at IPR. that would rock.