Friday, April 11, 2008

I can't live in that place

Another Crimean Tatar cemetery was desecrated yesterday outside of Simferopol. The International Herald Tribune has a little article about it, but it was at the heart of very big discussions on the ground today. 

The mood this evening was a little heavy in Milara-odzha's home - lots of visitors - but we took breaks from talking politics to sing. 

I thought it might be fun for you to listen to me trying to learn this song, which is called  "Эй, Гузель Къырым" or "Oh, My Beautiful Crimea," so I posted this sketchy "field" recording - complete with meandering piano solos! - here.

The last time we left the table for the piano, after dinner and tea and talk and more tea, my teacher, who told me earlier in the day that her heart was heavy from the news, said that while singing hadn't changed anything, it had made her heart a little bit lighter. 

This song was written after the deportation, and was popular among Crimean Tatars living in Uzbekistan. My loose (functional, but not poetic) translation of the chorus is:

I can't live in that place
I can't see those places
I miss my homeland 
Oh, my beautiful Crimea

I hope it's not too stark to pose this against the glaring instruction by vandals today for Tatars to Get Out of Crimea. 


No comments: